If you’ve ever had your luggage stolen, you know that it’s one of the worst possible things that can happen to you at an airport. Even so, a surprising amount of people don’t take the necessary steps to secure their suitcases.
Luggage locks are an extremely simple and affordable way of protecting your luggage, and they make would-be thieves much less likely to target your family’s belongings.
When I talk about “luggage thieves,” you probably have an image in your mind of a shady airport stranger snatching your suitcase from the baggage carousel and taking off with it.
However, that’s not always the case. There have been a number of publicized incidents in recent years where airport workers and even TSA agents have stolen items from passengers’ suitcases, which is a scary prospect.
Luckily, we’re here for you. We’ve compiled a list of the five best luggage locks currently on the market, placing importance on the quality of the locks and the degree of security that they offer. They tend to be very affordable products as well, making them a must-buy for any informed traveler.
All of the featured locks below are TSA-approved, which means that TSA agents can open them with a special key if they get pulled for inspection, instead of them having to cut the lock off.
1. Tarriss TSA Lock (2 Pack)
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED and backed by our LIFETIME WARRANTY! Makes a Great Travel Gift! Secure...
- SEARCH ALERT - You'll always know when the TSA is rummaging through your bags. Indicator changes...
- EASY to READ 3 Dial Combination can be set and rest to any combination of your choosing for added...
This lock features a standard three digit combination, which can easily be set and reset as often as you’d like. It’s constructed from a high-strength Zinc alloy, making it resistant to brute force attempts at removing it.
However, the most appealing aspect of this lock is its SearchAlert feature, which consists of a small indicator built into the front of the lock. This indicator is normally green-colored, indicating that your bag is secure and hasn’t been tampered with.
If you notice that the indicator has changed to red, it means that TSA agents have opened your luggage for inspection. There are many legitimate reasons why the TSA would have to do this, so the indicator being red isn’t a reason to immediately worry.
However, if you do notice that something seems to be missing from your suitcase, you know to take it up with the TSA.
2. Forge TSA Lock (2 Pack)
- MOST DURABLE TSA RECOGNIZED AND ACCEPTED LOCK. Forge locks are designed from the ground up to be...
- ALWAYS RELOCKED, ALWAYS PROTECTED. Most TSA locks on the market do not need to be re-locked by a TSA...
- KNOW IF YOUVE BEEN INSPECTED. Know if an agent has opened your TSA approved lock immediately with...
This Forge lock is very similar to the Tarriss lock, and maintains a similar level of quality and security. It’s a three digit combination lock, and features a Zinc alloy outer casing as well as hardened steel shackles.
It has a similar security system as well, called Open Alert, which will make you aware of any TSA inspection done to your luggage.
If an inspection is done, this lock has a unique feature that forces the TSA agent to re-lock your luggage before removing their key, which eliminates the possibility of it being left unlocked by accident.
3. TSA Approved Travel Combination Luggage Lock (2 Pack)
- 2 BLACK LUGGAGE LOCKS: You will be receiving a pack of 2 black TSA approved luggage locks.
- MOST DURABLE TSA APPROVED AND RECOGNIZED LOCK: All TravelMore travel locks are 100% Travel Sentry...
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Each combination lock comes with a 100%, no questions asked money back guarantee....
This is a more basic lock, but still constructed in a way that offers satisfactory durability and safety. It’s the least expensive lock on the list as well, and can be purchased in a four-pack for even more savings.
The lock is equipped with a flexible steel cable instead of the standard rigid shackle, which offers more maneuverability and allows it to be easily threaded through all types of luggage zippers.
A lifetime warranty is also included for each lock.
4. Acrodo TSA Approved Luggage Lock (2 Pack)
- 100% SOLID STEEL CONSTRUCTION - featuring a sturdy arch to resist being broken or cut. The luggage...
- 3-DIAL COMBINATION LOCK - Dial numbers move smoothly and are easy to read. No need to fumble with...
- POP-UP INDICATOR - this function notifies you whenever a TSA agent has opened your bag. The red...
This luggage lock is constructed out of solid steel, making it exceptionally strong and resistant to brute force attempts at removing it. The lock is opened by a standard three-digit combo, which can be set extremely easily.
It has its own pop-up indicator as well, which is similar to security systems on other locks. If your bag is inspected or accessed at all by the TSA, a red indicator will pop up from the bottom of the lock.
These locks also come with a lifetime warranty and guarantee of quality.
5. TSA Luggage Steel Padlock (2 Pack)
- Protect your luggage with top quality 4-digit combination TSA-approved padlocks.
- 4-digit locks offer 10,000 combinations and take 10 times longer to crack than 3-digit locks.
- TSA Approved Locks allows TSA screeners to inspect your luggage without damaging the locks.
This is the only lock on the list that can be ordered in a variety of different colors, including red, blue, and green. It’s accessed with a four-digit code, which is a step up from most locks on the market.
Four digit combination locks take far longer to crack than their three-digit counterparts, offering additional security.
The lock is constructed from a combination of Zinc alloy and plated steel, offering exceptional durability. The lock is backed by a 60 day money back guarantee, as well as a three year warranty.
Read reviews on Amazon
Every year, thousands of suitcases are stolen from airports and never seen again. Luggage locks are an extremely affordable and effective way of combating this, by safeguarding your luggage and making thieves think twice before snatching your suitcases.
And while it’s true that no lock will keep out a dedicated criminal, having a durable lock in plain sight will make it much less likely that they’ll go after your luggage. Plenty of people still don’t make an effort to secure their suitcases, and these people present far easier targets to would-be thieves.
I hope our list of the top 5 best luggage locks has illuminated the necessity of securing your luggage, and perhaps given you a few ideas of which locks to buy.